Protestant castle community Rumpenheim
The parishioners of Rumpenheim Castle Church celebrated the 250th anniversary of the laying of the foundation stone in 2006. The previous building, a medieval village church, was plundered and set on fire by Spanish troops during the Thirty Years' War and repaired in 1636. It was not until 1756 that the people of Rumpenheim obtained a new church building from the County of Hanau, which was consecrated in July 1761.
The slate-roofed Baroque church was built according to a design by C.P. Diede from Hanau and financed by the local community. It was originally a village church for the people of Rumpenheim, who have adhered to the Lutheran faith since 1541 and the Reformed faith since 1595. It was only after the Rumpenheim castle was extended (1781-1805) that the church also became the "castle church", as it has stood in the middle of the castle garden since 1838. Nevertheless, the landgrave's family and servants also attended services there, and this ensured that the church received many donations from the palace. However, in 1894, Pastor Samuel Eck refused to allow the emperor's daughter and the landgrave from Rumpenheim Palace to take communion in their private chambers. He referred to the Holy Scriptures, which emphasize that the differences between rich and poor should not play a role within the Christian community.
The castle church in Rumpenheim is located opposite the former mausoleum. To the south of the church is the landgrave's burial place of the House of Hesse-Kassel-Rumpenheim. The reformed church is kept simple. Under the men's gallery, there are royal boxes built in the classicist style around 1800. The pulpit altar in the south of the church has rococo elements. The organ was a gift from Duke Adolf of Nassau in 1852 and was recently restored (2003-2005).
In 1970, the "Rumpenheim Citizens' Initiative" was founded in the Protestant vicarage to oppose the demolition of Rumpenheim Castle. Between 1986 and 2002, the building, which had been destroyed in 1943, was rebuilt on their initiative. The castle community currently has around 1300 members. In addition to church services, concerts, exhibitions and a choir, the congregation offers an extensive program for young and old in the parish hall at Dornbergerstraße 20: weekly senior gymnastics, monthly senior citizens' afternoons, folklore dancing, a toddler group, a youth club, a creative circle and meetings of the Active Seniors. The castle church is currently open on Sundays from 3 - 5 pm as part of the "open church" program.
Further information can be found on the parish website: Schlossgemeinde Rumpenheim (opens in a new tab)
Evangelische Schlossgemeinde Rumpenheim
Schlossgartenstraße 5
63075 Offenbach
Opening hours
Office hours:
Mon: 16.00-17.30
Wed: 10.00-12.00
Thu: 17.30-19.00